Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stawberry Dreams for the Budget Conscious

It’s so funny how things work out sometimes. I was supposed to go strawberry picking yesterday but decided not to go to save money. So, instead the strawberries came to me. Here’s what happened…

Last year at this time, I went with my mom, my son, and a few ladies from our congregation to pick strawberries at a wonderful farm in Nelson County, Virginia called Seaman’s Orchard. What a beautiful day we had! The surrounding area was so picturesque and we got so many deliciously sweet strawberries! (I’ve included some of the pictures I took last year on my phone.) 


This year, we wanted to go back and there were a few other ladies that wanted to go as well. So, on Wednesday I tried to make plans to go yesterday (Friday). The weather forecast was good and it hadn’t rained in a couple of days so it would have been a good day for strawberry picking. However, truth be told, I couldn’t really afford to go what with the price of gas and then having to pay for the strawberries with a depleted grocery fund. I confessed my budgetary concerns and bowed out of going. No problem. I was happy with my decision. Besides, I figured maybe things would look better in June and I could go pick cherries instead.  
Well, that was not the end of it. My friend Patrice called later in the day and advised she was at a different farm picking strawberries and asked if I wanted to come over. It was closer (so less gas) and the day turned out to be absolutely GORGEOUS! I was so tempted! But no, I advised I couldn’t go and I was proud of myself for sticking to my guns. Instead, she invited me and my family over for dinner and a movie later that night. Yay! Time with friends and within my budget!  
So, I made a pie to take and went to the grocery store for a couple of sodas. On the way to the store, my mom and brother called. “It’s such a beautiful day”, they said. “We want to go riding and maybe pick some strawberries. Do you want to come?” What?! A third chance to go strawberry picking on the same day?!  I don’t believe in fate but this was getting ridiculous. I advised I had other plans and declined but said if they could wait until the next day, I would go with them. Hey, at least the gas would be paid for and I wouldn’t have to buy anything if I didn’t want to. Well, they were non-committal on that and I kept my plans with my friend. 

When I got to Patrice’s house, she had about 20 jars of strawberries she had canned (which I tasted and it was yummy!) and two trays of beautiful, plump strawberries she had frozen and was putting into freezer bags. Yay for her! Waah for me! Still, we had a fun evening. I absolutely love her family!!
Well, towards the end of the evening I missed a call and had a voicemail message from my brother. He advised that he and my mom did go strawberry picking at Seaman’s Orchard and got extras so I could pick them up on my way home. Since all good things ultimately come from Jehovah God, I will consider this to be a gift from Him as well as my family. And what a lovely gift it is. Sweet, fresh, and local strawberries. Doesn’t get much better! 

So, late last night and eyeing my bounty, I considered all of the ways I could use them (after I give some to my sister and niece). I didn’t want to get out my canning equipment to make jam this year, at least not the next day. So I brainstormed what I could do with my strawberries. It was late and a late-night snack was called for so I was just going to have a mayo and American cheese sandwich, however, a light bulb went off! What if I slice a strawberry and put it on the sandwich? Is that too weird? Well, I tried it and it is not weird at all. It was actually quite good! Here are a few other budget friendly ways to use fresh strawberries:

·        Make a cool, refreshing pie by mixing whipped topping with about a third of a box of strawberry gelatin. Stir in chopped strawberries then transfer the mixture to a graham cracker crust. Top with more whipped topping and add a few decorative strawberries on top. Yummy!!
·        Make freezer jam. I haven’t tried this but another friend says it is easier and tastier than canning. I found super easy instructions at about.com and this is what I will try soon!
·        Make your own angel food or pound cake and top with sliced strawberries that have been macerated in a little sugar. Yum! You can find cake recipes online and even find recipes to make your own whipped topping. Here are links to two recipes that I found on cooks.com--option1 and option 2. I’m going to try it and, if it works, may never have to buy whipped topping again!
·        Melt some chocolate to dip your strawberries. Yummy and decadent! Don’t know how to melt chocolate? Try following the tips given at about.com.
·        Add a few strawberries to cereal or oatmeal.
·        Make strawberry muffins. I haven't tried this yet but found a link on allrecipes.com to what looks to be a good recipe that I will try in the near future.
·        Slice strawberries and put in a nice spinach salad with walnuts or pecans and your favorite cheese.
·        Look up a recipe online that suits the ingredients you have on hand and make your own strawberry salad dressing. I found one at recipe.com that I tweaked for my ingredients. Instead of balsamic vinegar, I used white vinegar. It got the taste test seal of approval from me and my son.
·        Make your drink of choice better with fresh strawberries—daiquiri; strawberry lemonade, smoothie, or milkshake; or add sliced fresh strawberries to some sparkling water or lemon-lime soda.
 
And the list can go on and on. But you get the idea. If your gas and food budget allows, go pick your own fresh strawberries (I’ve seen as low as $1.30/lb.) and enjoy their natural sweetness in any number of creative, unique, and frugal ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment