Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Simplifying Ain't Simple!

Today was supposed to be about deep cleaning and getting the house ready to put up for sale.  Yeah, it’s amazing how a day can seem to start well and then go downhill quickly.  I don’t want to go into details since it involves others but, let’s just say, that today was disastrous and I am spent.  I am cried out and my brain is fried.  In less than a 10-hour span today, I have gone from mildly irritated and impatient to extremely angry and hurt to worried to scared out of my mind to relieved to angry and hurt again and then to just plain worn out.  Now I’m left wondering what I could have done differently and how to help the other person in this equation.  I’m also praying…a lot!  And I know I will be okay.  Jehovah God will not forsake me and, as Scarlett O’Hara says, “tomorrow is another day!” 

There are just so many balls that I’m trying to juggle right now.  It’s so overwhelming at times.  As I’ve mentioned briefly before, I’m trying to simplify.  For me, that means selling my house.  It is too big and the payments are more than I’d like.  I can afford them but I am what you would call “house poor”.  I don’t have much left over to do any of the things I’d like for me and my kids.  I’ve actually wanted to sell my house for years but have held back out of fear and uncertainty.  If I sell, should I buy something else or should I rent?  Should I try to buy something with a few acres out in the country and get chickens like I’ve always wanted?  If I rent, I won’t be responsible for the repairs and other costs of ownership plus where I rent may have amenities like a pool, exercise room, etc.  But what if no one buys my house?  The economy is bad and home values are down.  Plus, it’s a nice house and a nice neighborhood...Ugh!  These are just a few of the wishy-washy thoughts that have plagued me for too long!  At least now, I know for sure what I want to do—sell the house and find a place to rent that is a lot cheaper and easier to care for.  I don’t want any more of my time or energy spent on the home than necessary because I want that time and energy focused on spiritual goals, paying down debt, and doing things with my kids.  I’d like to enroll my kids in art classes; travel with them; get them cell phones; help my daughter get a car and cover insurance when she starts to drive, or give her my car and get me a new(er) one; get new tires for my current car, etc.  Yikes!  There is always something!

Along with selling my house, I am also selling furnishings, decorative items, and other things that I either don’t use, don’t need, or don’t want to dust and care for.  I e-mailed pictures of some of my items to a local furniture consignment shop and just got a reply back that they may already have some buyers so we just need to seal the deal and have them pick my items up.  Things are starting to happen.  That’s a bright spot in the day! 

I also have some items ready to go to a different consignment shop and I’m getting some things ready for a yard sale and the rest will be donated.  Sounds like a plan, right?  Yeah, it is but it’s sad that this is not my first purge.  When I moved from my previous house, I got rid of a lot of large pieces, including a piano, and lots of other items.  Then, while in my current house, I’ve had two yard sales; sold things at a flea market, several different consignment shops, and book shops; and given things away.  How do I still have so much to get rid of?  Believe me, I’m not a hoarder like you see on T.V.  Much of my stuff looks brand new and has been either displayed nicely or packed away in a storage room in my basement.  There is not junk lying around.  My house is neat.  Still, earlier in my life, I fell prey to consumerism and materialism and keeping up with the Jones’.  Now it’s sickening to me.  Thankfully, I am finally at a place in my life where none of it matters.  If I didn’t have kids, I could easily pack up just the necessities and travel in an R.V., live on a houseboat, or live abroad.  For now though, I feel I need to give them more stability than that.  Instead, I’ll simplify as much as I possibly can and enjoy the sense of lightness and freedom that comes with it!

P.S. My son has spent the last couple of hours in his room doing his own purging and cleaning.  I’m really proud of him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment