Saturday, December 31, 2011

Rejection is Not for Weenies

At the beginning of December, I sent a query letter to a popular magazine about an article I wanted to write for them. In my fine and most humble opinion, it was a good query letter and an even better article! (Picture tongue in cheek smile.) Still, being my first such attempt, I knew it was a long shot but was excited that I actually tried. That was, in fact, the hardest part—facing down my fear of rejection, quelling the negative self-talk, loosening the death grip on my heart, shooing away the butterflies in my stomach, and pressing the “send”button on my e-mail. But I did it and I was proud. I gave birth and released my progeny into the world for acceptance and approval.  

Yesterday, my progeny came back stamped “thanks, but no thanks”. Yep, I got my first rejection letter, or I should say, e-mail. For someone who’s always broken out in a rash at just the thought of rejection, I handled my “Dear John” letter surprisingly well. In fact, I smiled. And today, I celebrate it! Lest you think I’ve gone off the deep end so early in my career, let me explain.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer—published, paid, and happy doing what I enjoy. But I viewed writing like a distant land that I hoped to visit one day when the time was right or I had enough money or I believed in myself enough. Then one day I realized that I don’t have to actually be published to be a writer. I write, therefore I am…a writer. What a revelation! So, when I lost my job in July, I saw it as my opportunity to take the writing bull by the inkhorn and set out to give my craft a serious go.  

Turns out, there is a lot to the business of writing. I’m slowly navigating my way around and finding new ways to express myself and get my writing noticed while seeking job opportunities and trying to write my first novel. Each step I take makes me feel more and more authentically a writer. So, what of yesterday’s rejection? That sealed the deal, baby! I AM A WRITER!!! Woo-hoo!!

I mean, do you know how many published writers have faced how many rejections? I am sure the numbers are staggering! Still they pressed on rejection after rejection. It’s a given that I too will face repeated rejections. And now that I have my first, I feel I am really on my way! How many more to go? I don’t know. I just know that I’m on the path I want to be on and I’m not a weenie about rejection anymore! Bring it on publishing world! I can take it. Because I know, one day, it will be my turn!



2 comments:

  1. Rejection stings. One writer once said not to complain until you've gotten a hundred of them. The author of THE HELP had 60 rejections.

    Our first chore as writers is to decide on our genre and then study it. Read only it. Learn the ins and outs of that genre's requirements. Keep writing and learning. The learning curve of a writer is continual.

    So keep embracing your rejection. You're one step closer to that "yes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems sometimes the hardest thing to do is to say to yourself" I do have lots to say and Yes it is relevant to someone. You overcame that hurdle by starting your blog (which I love by the way)and now the next step, sending out your first query. The yes or no may have lots to do with paying a few bills or being recognized, or accepted but I dare to say it has nothing to do with what's inside a "soul", what's inside "you". Because you are your soul...so keep giving us you and one day someone will say we've been looking for this or that and we want YOU!

    ReplyDelete